Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Atlanta Finishing Touches and the Return to Portugal

Finally, the day came to return to Portugal. As expected, we were left with a considerable amount of stuff to be thrown away or left behind (?) in Atlanta. We attempted to sell a few. We have two Facebook selling groups in Atlanta - one private to Emory University students and staff. Interestingly many of our stuff created a large interest, and some were even bought by the students promptly.

However, one troll group, belonging to an Emory University fraternity decided to troll on my posts.



It was 4 guys named Max, Alex, Zach, and Kyle trolling together. Apparently I have no time to deal with Facebook trolls. I was in Facebook for very short time to sell the stuff and deactivate the account again. Interestingly, the trolls all share the profile pictures - appearing in each others' profile picture. The group did not have a group administrator, or the administrator is unable to or unwilling to reprimand the trolls. 

The Internet troll and bully culture is very dangerous. I have read in news that similar fraternity groups in the US trolling new students, particularly the female students. In extreme cases, online bullying has lead to suicides. These trolls, invite their victims to "just kill themselves".

Troll towards me is harmless, except the fact that my 'business' failed. :P The trolls belonging to the Emory University's Kappa Sigma #20 fraternity (as retrieved from their Facebook profiles) did not get anything out of this except some childish pleasure.

Luckily, we found a church that accepts the free stuff from neighbourhoods. It was win-win. We did a charity, and felt better. Received the blessings of the church. On the other hand, we indeed wasted a lot of time waiting for those who confirmed to buy the stuff. The students cancelled at the last moment (literally), after confirmed to buy, and we waited for them for the whole day to arrive.

We still had some decent students who indeed came and bought the stuff as discussed. This was my first experience as a seller, and I learned a lot. It was my first time being trolled online too. 

Now I am back to Portugal - my familiar lands with more familiar faces and no trolls around. Summer in Portugal was gone when I am back though. Already cold and rainy. Autumn is here, as I resumed my work at INESC-ID Lisboa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.